Auxiliary boiler fan-mixed burners replacement

BhupenMehta

Auxiliary boiler fan-mixed burners replacement

Post by BhupenMehta » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:14 am

Auxiliary Boiler of Ammonia plant have five fan-mixed gas burners and primary reformer furnace is Induced draft.
Any Ammonia plant (KBR) have experienced of replacing the fan mixed burners with Static type burners ?

Regards
Bhupen Mehta

bedmonds

Re: Auxiliary boiler fan-mixed burners replacement

Post by bedmonds » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi Mr. Mehta,
No experience with replacement, which without forced air fan may be difficult, but as I'm sure you have expereinced, these burners can seize due to bearing failure. Once seized the flame backs out of the burner and can cause damage. If only the local burner cock is available to isolate it (as was the case in my experience) adding a control valve to each burner that can be acuated remotely improved the safety quite a bit. I don't think Coppus still produce these burners and if so damage beyond simple bearing failure may be difficult to repair. It will be interesting to see if others respond who have replaced these burners.

BhupenMehta

Re: Auxiliary boiler fan-mixed burners replacement

Post by BhupenMehta » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:36 am

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, agreed with your views regarding bearing failure.
Another limitation is excess air control, as the load in Aux boiler has reduced drastically due to various energy saving schemes in the original plant with passage of time. We are also planning to install individual control valve in the existing burners to isolate in case of emergency from control room.