Coating of Reformer Refractory Material

qwasif

Coating of Reformer Refractory Material

Post by qwasif » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 am

Dear All,
I am currently working as an operations Engineer in Haldor Topsoe Ammonia Plant. I have recently gone through a paper of coating Primary Reformer Refractory for reducing Convection Coil fouling. Does anyone here has similar experience of applying this protection coat. If Yes please share the details and the service provider available in South Asian Region.

Thanks,
Qazi Wasif
Engro Fertilizers

bedmonds

Re: Coating of Reformer Refractory Material

Post by bedmonds » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi Qazi,
For ceramic fiber linings, where fluegas velocity is high fibers can be carried into the convection bank and get caught in finned coils. If this is your situation, rigidizer can be sprayed on to entrap the fibers. There are a number of commercial products available for this purpose and I think many are silicate salts. Experience has shown that recoating is required every few years

gschulz

Re: Coating of Reformer Refractory Material

Post by gschulz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Dear sir,
We painted the radiant furnace with a high emissivity coating to ¨fix¨ the loose refractory material that fouled the radiant tubes. Problem is that the paint will not last for long. You will have to repaint form time to time. With a high efficiency coating you need less fuel, thus the gas speed at burner tip is less and there will be less erosion.
regards,

G schulz