Ammonia storage tank

Kikelomo

Ammonia storage tank

Post by Kikelomo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:10 pm

We have used lagoon water to hydro test the ammonia storage tank and we are having an issue of sediments on the walls and the floor. Any ideai on how to clean up the tank in preparation for initial start up?
Size: 28m height
Diameter: 38m
Thanks.

Rosearray

Re: Ammonia storage tank

Post by Rosearray » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 am

From the number of posts, I'm sure you have received plenty of advice about this. My advice is to contact a professional tank cleaning service, given the huge size of your tank. I would suggest checking with local companies that have large storage tanks (e.g., oil companies) about their experience with any tank cleaning contractors. I know that your company has a lot invested in the success of the urea fertilizer operation - best wishes to you and your colleagues!
Best regards, Richard Rosera
Executive Advisor and Board Member
EHS GRADES International

pbaboo

Re: Ammonia storage tank

Post by pbaboo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:50 am

Dear Kikelomo,
At first the pond water below pH -7 it was not necessary to fill up the lagoon water into ammonia storage tank. Procedure must be followed. Anyway, the following procedure of cleaning.
1. Prepare all safety requirements to man entry into the tank. I.e. safety permit for man entry and all safety equipment’s (dust mask, gum boots, etc.) oxygen not less than 19.3 %.Ventilation should be proper. Continuous air to be supplied by air blower, if suffocation observed.
2. Manually cleaning to be done for bottom part of the tank, then by fire tender cleaning to be done by fire water nozzle having pressure about 7-8 kg/cm 2. Two persons must be hold the fire gun.
3. Now all the wall cleaning to be cleaned by water jet.
4. Then all the wall sludge removed and water to be drained through drain and the water sludge stirred by shovel so that the all sediments can be removed through water flow.
5. When minimum level achieved then de watering to be done by dewatering pump for remaining water sludge.
6. All the sludge to be removed with brush and scrapped.
7. Now wipe the sludge with moper
8. Remaining minor dust/sludge to be removed with vacuum cleaner.
9. Now check for any corrosion and defects
10. Close the Man hole cover and top cover
Regards
Prem Baboo
Last edited by pbaboo on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prem Baboo
DGM(Production & Process)
Dangote Fertilizer Limited, Lagos, Nigeria
Mob-+2349078758249
CUG-+2348055320446