Argon recovery as by-product

MarkXA313

Argon recovery as by-product

Post by MarkXA313 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

We were planning to add a purge gas recovery unit for the production of argon to our mother plant. Can anyone please give me some recommendations regarding which technologies to use and which not to use. Also which vendors should I opt for and is it possible to manufacture these units at our home station?

The current Ar conc is 4%. Will really appreciate responses.

Liviu

Re: Argon recovery as by-product

Post by Liviu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi mate,

If you send a stream composition and the hourly flow rate I can try to recommend you some vendors and the technology which is best to use. I've seen such units and usually the cryogenic technology is the recomended one. Also as vendors you have a few options: Air-Liquide, Linde, etc. Send the streams and I can try even to get an approximate CAPEX in few days.

Regards,
Liviu

bedmonds

Post by bedmonds » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi Mark,
Such a plant is quite doable. My only experience is with BOC technology but I'm sure Air Liquide and others can offer such a plant. A typical plant would have a multi thousand horsepower nitrogen cycle compressor and a compressor/expander pair while the cold box itself would have two columns, one having N2 and H2 overhead and the second having argon overhead and methane bottoms which are pumped back to feed/effluent exchangers.
The manufacture of most items is quite proprietary (aluminum exchangers, large N2 compressor etc. Because there is no O2 (which is difficult to plit from argon, it's easily possible to make 99.999+% argon which has a market premium when used in the electronics manufacturing realm. One attractive thing about such a plant is the production of a large stream of very pure nitrogen which is available to the plant's nitrogen system. One small caution is that the purge stream sent back to the ammonia plant fuel system is capable to being unstable in calorific value-for example if the methane pump trips and is restarted after a time.

omkarpatil

Post by omkarpatil » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Mark,
Along with Argon, Hydrogen, nitrogen and ammonia can be recovered from the purge gas stream. The recovery method depends on the feedstock in question and the gas(es) the customer wishes to recover. Ammonia can be recovered in a water wash system; hydrogen in a cryogenic or membrane recovery system and argon and nitrogen in a cryogenic recovery system.
The recovery technology best suited to your needs depends on a number of factors. These include the target product (i.e. the gas(es) you wish to recover), your performance requirements and your investment/operating budget.

Vendors to be contacted-Air-Liquide, Linde, Air Products etc.