Failure of first process gas coil in convection zone of pri reformer in Methanol plant

vasant

Failure of first process gas coil in convection zone of pri reformer in Methanol plant

Post by vasant »

Recently we had the failure of First Process gas coil situated in convection zone of pri reformer in Methanol plant where inlet flue gas temp is about 1040 deg C. The inlet tube temp is about 340 deg C. Coil has been in active operation for about 5 year.The plant was under shut down since past 2 years and was about to be restarted. During preliminary checks it was observed that tubes had cracked circumstantially in the parent metal. Tube MOC is 304H. There does not seems to be any expansion support issue.Can this failure be attributed to MOC issue alone?
Jo Eijkenboom

Re: Failure of first process gas coil in convection zone of pri reformer in Methanol plant

Post by Jo Eijkenboom »

Interesting question, to give a right answer is the information too less, I understand that the equipment was not used for 2 years. From the story I have the feeling that the key of the cracks is how was the equipment taken out of operation and has there been done some preservations of the equipment.
It is worthwhile to obtain these details and also the nature of the cracks should be investigated . Is there a microspecimen available.
kathyk

Re: Failure of first process gas coil in convection zone of pri reformer in Methanol plant

Post by kathyk »

Can you please undertake an RCFA to identify the root cause? There can be many reasons....
Stephbaker

Post by Stephbaker »

kathyk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am Can you please undertake an RCFA to identify the root cause? There can be many reasons....
I think so. It just can't be us trying to figure out if there is a bigger cause to it, it should be taken care of immediately