Ammonia training courses in: Plant Operation, Troubleshooting and Process Safety
In the field of ammonia training, AmmoniaKnowHow.com and UreaKnowHow.com is working together to develop specific courses related with process safety, environmental impacts and occupational health risks associated with ammonia and urea plants. The first outcome of this collaboration is:
Specific Process Safety Risks in Ammonia and Urea plants
The Specific Process Safety Risks course examines the causes and prevention of ammonia and urea incidents. It categorises the key hazards which must be controlled and reviews in detail the most common hazards associated with ammonia and urea plants.
This ammonia safety risk training course draws upon the past industry accidents and incidents, as well as errors in design, only revealed in operation. You will gain an understanding of the key operation, maintenance and plant modification aspects which must be controlled to ensure safe operation of ammonia and urea plants.
Effective risk assessment is fundamental to protecting businesses against the potentially devastating impact of process safety incidents; in most countries it is also a legal requirement.
This course describes the processes used to identify, assess and communicate process risks from a safety, environmental or business perspective, from a simple qualitative approach to fully quantified assessments, together with the demonstration that risks are as low as reasonably practicable.
You will better understand the principles of inherent safety and their application to existing facilities. This practical course uses real-life examples that can help establish a safer, more efficient and more profitable plant.
Day 1 – Risk identification and assessment tools
Module 1: Hazard identification and risk management for operation plants
- Risk Management Process
- Inventory of Health & Safety hazards within Fertilizer plant activities
- Hazards identification and assessment studies and techniques (HAZID/HAZOP)
- Risk ranking using a risk matrix
- Risk assessment guidelines and procedures (ALARP demonstration)
Module 2: Using lessons learned from past incidents in Ammonia and Urea plants
- FIORDA Incident Database for Ammonia Plants
- FIORDA Incident Database for Urea Plants
- Sections and Equipment with most Safety Hazards in Ammonia Plants
- Sections and Equipment with most Safety Hazards in Urea Plants
* FIORDA – Fertilizer Industry Operational Risks Database (fiorda.eu)
Module 3: Key findings and recommendation for Ammonia and Urea hazards
- Key findings and recommendations in safety studies for Ammonia plants
- Key findings and recommendations in safety studies for Urea plants
Risk Assessment (Workshop)
- Risk assessment workshop based on case studies from Ammonia plants
- Risk assessment workshop based on case studies from Urea plants
Day 2 – Specific HSE risks for Urea plants
Module 1: The Lessons Learned fromthe First 100 Safety Hazards in Urea Plants
- Incident Database, Risk Registers for Urea Plants
- Sections and Equipment with most Safety Hazards
- Major Safety Risks in Urea Plants
- Health concerns related to ammonia, CO2, urea, UF85, ammonium carbamate
- Consequences how to behave in a urea plant?
- Consequences for doing HAZOP studies
- Risk assessment workshop based in a case study
Module 2: Explosion Risks (Workshop)
- Theory of explosive mixtures and explosion diagrams
- Going through the plant in Stamicarbon and Saipem
- Explosive Risks during shut-down, start-up, blocking-in, Turnarounds
Module 3: Environmental Management for Urea Plants
- Air emissions & noise
- Hazardous waste
Day 3 – Specific HSE risks for Ammonia plants
Module 1: Incidents and corrective actions in Ammonia plants
- Case studies for incidents in Reforming section of Ammonia plants
- Case studies for incidents in HT and LT shift convertors
- Case studies for incidents in CO2 removal section of Ammonia plants
Module 2: Incidents and corrective actions in Ammonia plants
- Case studies for incidents in Methanation section of Ammonia plants
- Case studies for incidents in Synthesis section of Ammonia plants
- Case studies for incidents in Ammonia Storage tanks
Following the success of UreaKnowHow.com training program for Urea Managers, Engineers and Shift supervisor, AmmoniaKnowHow.com launched
Ammonia Advanced Training program
This course is intended for operators / shift supervisors with ammonia process backgrounds and for engineers, technicians and managers who support ammonia plants projects and operation.
The development of the course has been steered by an expert group of ammonia process, process safety and material and corrosion professionals with a reputable worldwide experience.
The ammonia technology is well represented with case studies in discussion collated from trainers personal experience on site as well as from the last 50 years of Safety in Ammonia Plants and Related Facilities Symposium organized by AIChE. Throughout the course extensive use will be made of a range of real life case studies and of group discussions.
The program agenda will cover specific technical issues related with Ammonia Plants: Start-up, Operation, Troubleshooting, Corrosion and Safety.
Main topics covered during the training course are:
- Ammonia Process Technology
- Environmental, Safety and Healthy Aspects in Operation of Ammonia Plants
- Ammonia Plant: Start-up and Operation
- Errors in Performing Standard Procedures
- Problem, Failure and Troubleshooting of Ammonia Plant
- Turnaround, shutdown and outage management
- Commissioning after turnaround
- Ammonia Stress Corrosion Cracking (NH3- SCC) in Liquid Ammonia Storage Tanks
- Corrosion Failure Modes in CO2 Removal Systems
- Corrosion Failure Modes in Steam and Condensate Systems of Ammonia Plants
- Sections and Equipment with most Safety Hazards in Ammonia Plants
- Major Safety Risks in Ammonia Plants
- Key findings in safety studies and analysis for Ammonia plants
- Operational incidents and corrective actions in Ammonia plants:
- Operational incidents in Reforming section of Ammonia plants
- Operational incidents in CO2 removal section of Ammonia plants
- Operational incidents in Methanation section of Ammonia plants
- Operational incidents in Synthesis section of Ammonia plants
- Operational incidents in Ammonia Storage tanks.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Appreciate the reasons why plant operation goes wrong and apply those to your company’s situation,
- Develop knowledge about specific topic areas related to major accidents in ammonia plants and how to reduce the related risks,
- Create simple structures to identify risks, manage risk, highlight issues and take action,
- Learn to identify and undertake some immediate improvement actions for different sections of ammonia plants,
- Learn about the ways to minimise the impacts in case of process upsets and incidents – interactive case studies,
- Develop a working knowledge of key techniques that can promote trouble-free operation and reduce operation cost,
- Learn about the importance of process safety and the various approaches to process safety.
Who will benefit:
- Ammonia plant operators, technicians and superintendents
- Mechanical engineers,
- Production engineers,
- Instrumentation and control engineers,
- Electrical engineers,
- Safety and risk engineers,
- Maintenance engineers,
- Project engineers.